The Mosquito Abatement Program consists of mosquito control activities in the months of May through October to insure the health and welfare of citizens and visitors of the City of Brandon. These activities include adulticide spraying in which the City is divided into four (4) zones and City crews cover one zone per week with spraying applications, weather permitting. Larvacide treatment is another activity the City performs to treat ditches, drainage channels, and areas of standing water in City right-of-ways to eliminate larvae habitat. For more information, please call the Public Works Department at 601-824-4579 or 601-825-8421.
Many places around your home can cause mosquito problems.
Some responsibilities that property owners can take on to help prevent any potential breeding sites for mosquitoes are:
(Yard and Home Checklist)
- Eliminate any standing water on your property
- Get rid of old tires, tin cans, buckets, drums, bottles, or any water holding containers. If any are kept, they should be turned upside down so they do not accumulate water.
- Fill in or drain any low places (puddles, ruts) in yard.
- Keep drains, ditches and culverts clean of weeds and trash so water will drain properly.
- Cover trash containers to keep out rain water.
- Empty or cover plastic wading pools and swimming pools when not in use.
- Make sure your backyard pool is properly cared for while on vacation.
- Change the water in bird baths and plant pots or drip trays often.
- Keep grass cut short and shrubbery well trimmed around the house so adult mosquitoes will not hide there.
- Wear long pants and long sleeved shirts when outdoors particularly at dawn & dusk.
- Use mosquito repellent when outdoors.
Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Tel: 601-824-4579 or 601-825-8421
Call After Hours: 601-825-7225 (Brandon Police Dispatch)
Understanding Your Water Bill
Have you ever wondered what FLA or WR mean on your water bill? Click the following link to learn more: Understanding Your Water Bill
Annual Drinking Water Report