Some of our most Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a copy of an accident report?

Accident reports can be obtained in person at the Court Services window at the Brandon Police Department, 1455 West Government Street, or you can visit

*Please note that it can take up to 10 business days for a report to be completed and approved.  Cost – $25.00

Is there a waiting period before I can report someone missing?

No. You can make a missing person report whenever you realize that someone is missing.

Can I make a police report any time of day or do I need an appointment?

The police department will respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to any requests for police service. Emergency calls should be made to 911. Non-emergency matters may be handled by calling 601-825-7225.

How do I file a complaint on an officer?

Complaints on officers must be made in person at the Police Department or call 601-825-7225 and an officer will be sent to your address. A complaint cannot be done by a third party.  Filing a complaint requires sitting down with a supervisor to discuss the problem and filling out the complaint form. Complaints made on social media will not be answered.

Someone has abandoned a junk car on my property or parking lot. Can the police tow it away?

The police department can only remove cars that have been abandoned on public property. You may call a wrecker service of your choice to tow the car away.

How do I get a police officer to speak to my group or at an event?

Call 601-825-7225. To request a Brandon Police Department Officer to speak at an event, please try to give a tw0-weeks notice of request.

Does the Police Department have an ATM?

The Brandon Police Department does not have an ATM on site.

How can I find out if someone is in jail, when someone in jail can be visited, or any other information about persons in jail?

The Brandon Police Department does not operate the jail. For jail information call the Rankin County Jail at (601) 825-1479.

My friend or relative is overdue returning home. How can I find out if they were involved in a traffic accident?

The 911 Center dispatchers do not have the names of persons involved in traffic accidents. The names are not available until later when the reports are turned in. If a person is injured in a traffic accident and they are unable to call for themselves, the police department will attempt to notify their family.

How do I compliment a police officer?

Compliments on officer can be accepted through any means but please leave a name and contact number so we can thank the person.

I need Police assistance, but it's not an emergency. Who do I call?

Any criminal or suspicious activities that are not emergencies can be reported to the Brandon Police Department by calling (601) 825-7225.

My family and I are going on vacation. Can the police keep an eye on our home while we are gone?

You can call 601-825-7225 to have your home placed on a “watch list.” While the Police Department does not have the manpower to watch your home 24 hours a day, the officers assigned to your area will check on your property as their call loads permit.

We have a problem with speeders and other traffic violators in our neighborhood. What can we do about it?

Call the police at (601) 825-7225 and request extra traffic patrol.

Can I report drunk drivers to 911 on my cell phone?

Yes. Calls to 911 are free. Do not try to pursue the drunk driver or place yourself in danger. When you call, you will be asked for a description of the car, location and direction of travel.

How can I evict someone from my property?

Eviction is a legal process that often requires a court order. As a municipality, the Brandon Police Department can only deal in criminal matters.  Please contact the Rankin County Sheriff’s Office or the constable for your area.

Why do the clerks ask so many questions when I call the police?

Dispatchers are trained to obtain as much information as possible to determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness. On emergency calls, the clerks will continuously send information to the officer in the field as he responds, while asking additional questions.